Kubinski & Nichols, P.C.
Our Attorneys Are Board Certified in Family Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Call Today 915-519-1168

Going to bat for your children's best interests in divorce

If you're like many Texas parents, you may spend many weeks during spring and summer running back and forth to baseball games, soccer events and/or other special activities in which your children participate. In fact, some days, just getting away from work, through heavy traffic and to the field on time may prove as challenging (or so it may seem) as putting a man on the moon, but hey -- they're your kids and they're worth it, right?

If you're also one of many in the state who recently divorced, you remain focused on your children's best interests, especially if your former spouse refuses to cooperate. Since you have children together, you obviously understood that after finalizing your divorce, you'd continue to have to communicate with your former spouse on a regular basis; however, you may not have been expecting problems to arise regarding your new parenting agreement. It can be quite stressful, especially if you don't have a support plan to rectify such situations.

Are one or more of these issues ruining your summer?

Children are highly adaptable, but the last thing you need as you adapt to your post-divorce lifestyle together is problems that directly affect them, such as those associated with child custody or visitation. If one of the following issues is interrupting your summer fun, you may want to bring it to the court's attention:

  • Your former spouse is impeding your ability to contact your children via telephone, text, or online.
  • Your children's other parent is preventing your scheduled visitations by refusing to meet you at the pre-arranged time or location to transfer the children.
  • Your former spouse keeps showing up unannounced during your visitation time with your children.
  • Your kids informed you that they are planning to move to a new location with their other parent, but that's the first you've heard about it.
  • Your children's other parent keeps trying to substitute virtual visits for your scheduled in-person visitation times.

As was most likely explained to you in court when the judge handed down a ruling for your finalized parenting plan, the agreement itself carries the force of the law. If you (or your former spouse) ever want to change something in the agreement, you would need to get a new proposed plan in writing and seek the court's approval first. Therefore, if your former spouse refuses to adhere to the stipulations in an existing court order, you have every right to request the court's intervention to resolve the problem.

Many Texas parents rely on experienced family law attorneys to step in and litigate such issues as needed. This type of aggressive representation may help you obtain a swift solution to your current problem and removes the burden of having to act on your own behalf in court.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Kubinski & Nichols, P.C.
10514 Montwood Dr.
El Paso, TX 79935

Map & Directions
Phone: 915-519-1168
Fax: 915-598-6043